Monday, June 20, 2005

I'm not bulimic or an alcoholic. I do this for medical reasons

I got an interview at the hospital I interned at!!!! It's to work as a case manager temporarily replacing a social worker who's on leave.

Yesterday my friends Ali and Jim got married. Mazel Tov! It was a lovely outdoor ceremony in Joliette, QC and they both looked radiant. Since Ali has been a strict vegan for many years, all the food at the reception was free of dairy, eggs and meat.
I have a rather severe allergy to chick peas, but she assured me the dinner would be fine.
Not thinking, I grabbed a canape when one was offered and ate it. I realized just a little bit too late that it had hummus on it.

The last time I had chick peas I was violently ill for about 48 hours. Since the job interview was the next morning, being sick was not an option. Carefully weighing the pros and cons, I elected to go yak it all out in the bathroom. So, dressed to the nines and crying, I eventually got rid of most of the chickpea badness.

I remember hearing that if you drink methanol the treatment is to have your stomach pumped and drink ethanol so you don't metabolize it. I don't know if it's actually true, but since there was an open bar, I thought I'd check it out, in the name of science. I proceeded to get kacked. Drinking on an extremely empty stomach meant I got sloppy quite quickly. I tried explaining to people that I was pounding back the booze to flush out the hummus, but some didn't seem too convinced. I don't remember embarassing myself too badly - just having a LOT of fun dancing and feeling pretty footloose and fancy free. Then going for a few more technicolour yawns.

This morning I was hungover, but not sick, so I guess it worked.
The job interview didn't go too well as a result. I had to ask them to repeat the questions quite a few times. I found out later today at our goodbye BBQ thing that four different case managers all called the head of the department and put in the good word for me. If I get the job it starts in a few days. Fingers crossed! Now I FINALLY get to sleep.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 p.m., Blogger Sofi said...

I feels yo' chickpea pain, homie.

 
At 10:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you got shitfaced in the name of science?! Silly Liz! (It's some weird karmic thing for getting others drunk in the name of science years ago.)

Also, if you actually did the Footloose while footloose, I want videotape proof.

...And fingers are crossed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home